Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Buttons On Display Bracelet


Many of my friends, who don't know how to crochet, were asking who taught me how to crochet. I told them my Nanay (filipino word for Mom, pronounced as Na-Nay). It's in the blood, also, from both sides, maternal and paternal. My Lola(lo-la, grandma) Diyang, mom of my Tatay(ta-tay - father), used to crochet bonnets and booties to all her Apo ( a-po, grandchildren) as a welcome to the clan gift. My Tiya(ti-ya,aunt) Menang and Tiya Gloria patiently crocheted big curtains, bedspread, doilies and table runners for their homes. Someday I will feature their vintage works when I have the opportunity to visit Cebu. Their projects were all made of cotton threads.

When I was in grade 5, our Home Economics project was to crochet a doily. I was not interested then, cause the cotton thread using #7 steel hook was hard to draw up the loop, so I gave up, most of my classmates, too. I just let my Nanay crochet my project, a nd even my classmates, they just paid someone to crochet the doily. Silly us!!! Sorry, young ones just like to play, play and play. Ha, Ha, Ha!!!, the good old days.....But, I found out until now, this practiced still existed. Now, it's my turn. Some students are paying me to crochet their projects. Why? because for beginners cotton thread ticket #8 using #7 steel hook is so hard to crochet, especially young ones.

In 1999, I started using tiny cords(alternative to yarn) as my materials for crocheting most of my projects especially bags. Cords are durable, machine washable and very easy to crochet, bags can be done in a day.

In my crochet mentoring for young and adult beginners, this is what I teach first:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jurich, keep up the good work and continue to inspire more crafters. Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful first project for beginners! Much more fun than a doily at that age. My first project was a bookmark, the lady next door taught me how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom also taught me my first stitches.. the rest I learned from school... then later on .. through youtube :)

    ReplyDelete